Hello Scout Leaders,
We had a really good Roundtable on Wednesday and had a fun cookout as well
For those that couldn’t make it, here’s a recap of what was discussed:
Manitoga District Events and Notifications
- September 10th is the Women in Leadership gala event at Stone Manor in Hawthorne.
- Popcorn pickup is September 7th. Please contact Connor if you have any questions about the location (it’s near the Council office)
- October 24th is the annual Scouting Citizen of the Year award, this year honoring Ernie Wieting! Dinner is at the Four Brothers restaurant in Mahopac
- BALOO training is October 5-6 @ Durland
- Wood Badge – the premiere Adult leader training class, is happening at Alpine Scout Camp October 5-7 for the 1st weekend. Sign up now – you will not be disappointed!
- Scout Leader training (ITOLS) is October 26-27 @ Durland (co-ed), or an All Female version of the event will be offered September 28-29! Run by women for women 😊
- Thunderbird Games is happening October 19-20, back at Croton Point Park!
- Webelos-Ree is happening from 9:30-11:30AM
- Cub Packs are encouraged to camp overnight for the complete experience, including the amazing Fireworks show that night!
- Troops can camp overnight as well. Sites are first come first serve for the camping area.
- Troops – reach out to your Packs to try to get the Webelos to have dinner with you that Saturday night! Start to build a relationship with the Scouts and their families and make them feel welcome to join your Troop in the Spring! It’s never too late to start to recruit!
- The Manitoga / Muscoot District Comp-o-ree is October 25-27 – Location TBD.
- The annual membership fee will be raised to $54 per Scout (and only Scout – not adult), plus the National $33/pp (adult & scout) for insurance, etc. So the total per scout will be $87, and still $37/adult
- Cub Scouts: We discussed membership & recruitment ideas, such as:
- Submit your rally nights to Connor so we can work with National and setup the FREE Geofencing for your rally nights on Social Media!
- Reach out to the PTA of your host School to speak with the parents and explain to them the importance of Scouting and the fun the boys have too.
- Follow through on the emails that come in from the beascout.org notifications for the Invitation Manager and/or Application Manager. These are people that are already ready to join your Pack – make them feel welcome!
- Need Yard sings for your area? Let us know and we’ll get them to you!
- Consider having a Scout uniform day where all scouts in the Pack wear their Class B shirt to school, then have them invite their friends
- Scouts BSA:
- A lively conversation was had around the new formalization of the Eagle Board of Review process. If you have any questions or concerns about this, either feel free to ask, or come to the next Roundtable and speak with one of our Eagle coaches!
- Get Den Chiefs to sign up and get placed with a local Pack. They act as assistants to the Den Leader, and big brother to the Scouts. Den Chief Training is on Nov 2nd. Registration is on the Council calendar
- Get yard signs. They’re not just for Cub Scouts!
- Invite Webelos to join your events as often as you can, as many times as you can. Invite them to camp or dine with you at the Thunderbird games! Build that relationship as soon as you can.
- If you need the names / contact info for any Pack leader, please let me know.
As a general reminder, myself and the rest of the Commissioner corps are here to help! If you have any questions or concerns that we can help you with, please don’t hesitate to ask. If you don’t know who your commission is, let me know and I’ll put you in touch with him/her.
Thanks for all that you do for these great Scouts! I hope to see you all at the next Roundtable on Wednesday October 2nd, 7:30PM @ Copper Beach Middle School, cafeteria B.
Yours in Scouting,
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
WESTCHESTER PUTNAM COUNCIL