Cub Scout and Webelos Scout FAQs

Q: What shooting programs can Cub Scouts participate in?
A: Cub Scouts can shoot BB-gun rifles, slingshots, and archery in a council or district event, but not at a unit event. Catapults can be used during a unit-organized event.

Q: Can Cub Scouts or Webelos shoot shotguns or .22-caliber rifles in resident camps, day camps, or unit activities?
A: No, these are activities they can look forward to participating in when they become Boy Scouts.

Q: What shooting sports programs can Webelos participate in?
A: Webelos can shoot pellet rifles, BB-gun rifles, slingshots, and archery, but it must be a council or district event, not a unit event. Catapults can be used at a unit-organized event.

Q: How do I find a range officer for my Cub Scout pack?
A: Cub Scouts are only allowed to shoot at a district or council event. If your pack wants to organize a BB-gun or archery event, please contact your local council’s shooting sports chairman or shooting sports director for information on the council’s shooting sports programs.

Q: How can I get trained to run the Cub Scouts BB-gun or archery range at a day camp or resident camp?
A: You should contact your local council shooting sports chairman or shooting sports director for more information.

Q: What type of training do I need to help in the Cub Scout day camp or resident camp programs?
A: You need to be a trained as a Cub Scout range officer by a National Camp School shooting sports director.

Q: Why does the BSA not allow members of the military, law enforcement, or 4-H to run a shooting sports event for the BSA?
A: The BSA does allow military, law enforcement, and 4-H certified instructors to help run a BSA summer camp range. The camp will be fully accredited with the proper NCS shooting sports director or NRA certified personnel running the range. The BSA has established NRA training as the national standard. Personnel from the military, law enforcement, or 4-H agencies are welcome to attend NRA training to become certified.

Q: What supervision is needed at resident camp for shooting sports?
A: A currently certified National Camping School shooting sports director is required. If more than one range is in operation at the same time, each range must have a certified NCS director or NRA instructor for the discipline (type) of range running the line. If no instruction (open shoot) is taking place, an NRA range safety officer may run the line.