Leaders Rave About Powder Horn!
Powder Horn 2016 is in the books and all the attendees agree-it was well worth the wait!
Sign up now for the 2017 course before it is full-
Powder Horn 2017 Registration
Attendees for the inaugural WPC/GC Powder Horn course were Boy Scout leaders, Venturing leaders and Venturers. Each came to experience new, exciting high adventure programs to bring back to their troops and crews. They were not disappointed!
Participants were treated to 20 amazing high adventure elements including-
- Climbing and Rappelling from Summit Base Read Scout Reservation
- Ice Climbing Demo from Summit Base Read Scout Reservation
- Mountain Biking from REI
- Orienteering with Ed Hicks and Hudson Valley Orienteering
Day 2 the course traveled to Seton Scout Reservation in Greenwich. Everyone had a fantastic time experiencing-
- Tomahawk Throwing
- 22 Rifle and Musketloading Rifle
- Stand Up Paddleboard
- Fly Fishing
Later that day, the group learned about Search and Rescue, Trek Planning and Emergency Preparedness.
The final morning of the course was spent at the Hollowbrook Riding Academy in Putnam Valley. Participants learned how to take care of horses, saddle them and then got to ride!
The course ended with all receiving their Powder Horn certificates and dangles-the horn that hangs from the pocket.
The staff was inducted into the Corps of Discovery-those that promote Venturing and Adventure!
Thanks to the staff and all their hard work over the last year and more-
- Bill Ferguson Course Director
- Tom Campanile Asst Course Director-Program
- Joe Trovato Asst Course Director-Administration
- Paul Court Asst Course Director-Youth Staff
- Kim Hord Administrator
We can hardly wait until Powder Horn 2016! Registration opening this fall!
See it all in the Powder Horn 2015 video!